About this Website
- “There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” Ernest Hemmingway
- “Judge each day not by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.” Robert Louis Stevenson
- “We must be the change we wish to see in the world.” Gandhi
- “Noble deeds that are concealed are most esteemed.” Blaise Pascal
- “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” Ayn Rand
- “If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.” John D. Rockefeller
- “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson
- “Sense shines with a double luster when it is set in humility. An able yet humble man is a jewel worth a kingdom.” William Penn
- “There is a great satisfaction in building good tools for other people to use.” Freeman Dyson
- “You don't know what you can learn until you try to learn.” Ronald Coase
- “Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.” Mark Twain
- “Create more value than you capture.” Tim O'Reilly
Check These Out
Blogs I Follow
About the Site
This site was designed and coded by me (while wearing the hat and t-shirt of phaseCLARITY, in which I am involved). Most of it is built on ExpressionEngine (EE), although there are a few elements that I preferred to code external to EE. The site is fully W3C valid and compliant (except for a bit of CSS3 and some embedded content over which I have no control), though I’ve not made an effort to accommodate legacy browsers such as Internet Explorer 6/7 or similar vintage. If you find rendering errors or accessibility issues I’d love to hear from you so that I can correct them.
The primary landing page (Home) is my blog, where you’ll find posts about a variety of topics. Many are simply posted because I want to be able to refer to them again without digging through all of my bookmarks, while others are musings or rants on topics about which I’m very passionate. Still others may just be light and fun that I’d like to share. Click the title or the “Comments” link on any post (and scroll down) to add your comments or read those left by others.
On the Links page there is a collection of links to pages I fnd interesting or useful, and hopefully they’ll be of some use to others as well. Feel free to suggest pages I’ve missed, or which you feel better present information found in the lists on that page. You’re welcome to use the contact form on this site, or send e-mail to contact_at_daleallyn_dot_com (reformatting as a normal email address). I’m interested in what you have to say.
About the Blog
As mentioned above, the home page of this site is my blog, which I have been putting off for a while. There’s a blog on my photography site, but that has remained rather focused on the subjects related to the art and business of photography. This site is intended to be more diverse in terms of topics, and mostly just a collection of items that I enjoy sharing and discussing, or which I wish to collect here for my later reference. With any luck, perhaps the topics will be of interest or help to others.
I enjoy interacting on some other blogs, so I felt I should make an effort myself. Besides, Google, Bing (and therefore Yahoo!) and other search engines see me as a photographer mostly, which is fine, but since people have asked if I do anything else, or if I’m interested in other topics, it made sense that I ought to share some of my other work and interests via this blog.
I’m a business guy involved in import/export; web development, design and branding; and an exciting startup project (currently in “stealth” mode) about which I’m very passionate. I’m accused by some of being a workaholic. Photography is also a love of mine. You can see some of my images by following the “Photos” links in the navigation of this site.